Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Want to Work-out, But...

How do you stay motivated? How do you keep “the want to” in your work-out? Is what you are doing at the gym or at home making you want to go back to it every day? Do you smile while you workout? If you didn't say yes to the last two questions then I would question if you are doing the right thing for your workout. If you don't love what you are doing, you will start to make excuses. Making excuses equals not sticking to your goals.

One of the big things in fitness right now is ZUMBA. Raise your hand if you love Zumba. My hand is not raised. I hate Zumba. My husband has tried to get me to certify to teach it, but why would I do that. I hate Zumba. Please don't see this as me trying to discourage you from classes; I am just trying to get you to see that you need to do what you love. Because I dislike this class, I don't do it. However, it is packed with people that love it. If this is what you love - please do yourself a favor and take the class. You will be more likely to stick to it. If you hate running-don't do it. You most likely won't stick to it. Get the idea.

Here’s a little tip - give everything a go for a few weeks before you completely cut it off. I always hated running. After doing it for a few weeks I realized - hey, it's not so bad. Now, when the weather is right, and I can do a few miles outside, I love running. So give things a try before you write them off.

So please, truly find something you love. If you see me at the gym I am usually the girl who is dancing and smiling as I rock out doing my strength sessions or on my elliptical. Yes, I really dance or tap my foot to the beat. It is another thing that makes working out more fun-MUSIC. Can't go wrong with a good up-beat mix of music that gets your blood pumping and your body going.

Ding, ding, ding- A Fitness Tip. Wednesday - my beloved back and biceps day. Find a low bar somewhere - maybe you have a treadmill in your house or a nearby park. Grab a hold of that bar, palms down, with your back toward the ground, lean back. Now you pull up with your arms-it will be like a reverse push up. Now you can just change the position of your hands to your palms facing up hands closer together and wa-la, you have a bicep exercise. FYI-you can change the intensity by having knees straight for harder-the more bend in your knee the easier the workout. Also, the smaller the body angle to the ground the harder; the larger the angle the easier. Watch the video then go out and get some back and biceps knocked out.

2 comments:

  1. I've discovered that I love the bike..... I put in my head-phones and listen to CNN and before I know it I've clocked 8 miles.... keep posting, you're giving me motivation to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I honestly find that music makes ALL the difference. I loved your post on spinning. My new gym opens next week and I'm stoked to try it!

    ReplyDelete